5 El Paso residents arrested in online solicitation investigation
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – Five people from El Paso were arrested in an online solicitation operation Jan. 14-15 by the Texas Department of Public Safety and Homeland Security Investigations.
As a result of the investigation, five suspects were charged and five other suspects were identified by special agents during the operation.
The following people from El Paso have been taken into custody and held in the El Paso County Detention Center:
- David Varela, 33, charged with online solicitation of a minor
- Michael Gilbert Martinez, 36, charged with online solicitation of minors
- Juan Carlos Ramos-Aguilera, 53, accused of online solicitation of minors
- Alvin Wendel Jackson Jr., 46, charged with prostitution, person under 18
- Daniel Sarmiento, 47, accused of prostitution
The joint operation consisted of identifying and apprehending persons suspected of being involved in human trafficking using various websites to solicit sexual acts from minors and adults.
Other agencies were involved in this investigation, including the Texas Special Constables and Highway Patrol (DPS), HSI, El Paso Police Department, the Texas Alcohol Commission, and the Border Prosecution Unit. for the district attorney’s office of the 34th judicial district.
If you are a victim of human trafficking or have information about this type of criminal activity, please contact the National Trafficking in Persons Hotline at (888) 373-7888.