Remsen NY House Fire Boy Kills Burned Family Members
REMSEN, NY – A 9-year-old boy died early Wednesday after his Oneida County home caught fire.
Everett Newman, a fourth-grade student at Remsen Central School, was found dead by firefighters on the second floor of his Remsen home, the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office said. Two of his family were severely burned while trying to save the boy from the burning house, lawmakers said.
The fire at 9576 Maple Avenue was reported at 12:43 a.m.
RUPTURE … Several firefighters are at the scene of a structural fire on Maple Avenue in Remsen. Neighbors say 2 people were taken to hospital with burns and a third person may still be trapped inside. @WKTV pic.twitter.com/t65SZKidlG
– Tom Geise (@TgeiseTom) December 18, 2019
When Remsen firefighters arrived, two residents were trying to save Everett, MPs said. The residents – Louis Newman, 67, and Amelia Newman, 37 – both suffered severe burns to their heads and arms, MPs said.
Everett’s body was transported out of the house at 2:18 a.m., MPs said. Shortly after, firefighters brought the blaze under control, MPs said.
Investigators believe that a fire started in a wood stove on the ground floor of the house.
Louis Newman and Amelia Newman were transported to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.
© 2019 Syracuse Media Group, NY
Visit Syracuse Media Group, NY at www.syracuse.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.