UW Health Kids Offers Home Safety Tips
MADISON, Wisconsin (WMTV) – As winter begins to intensify, UW Health Kids offers advice on safe homes.
According to UW Health, in the past three years, there have been nearly 450 pediatric burn-related hospitalizations at UW Health Burn and Wound Center. Twenty-five children were treated for hearth-related burns.
The glass in the gas fireplace can reach 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit and cause severe burns, according to Dr. Angela Gibson, intensive care and burn surgeon at UW Health and assistant professor of surgery at UW School of Medicine and Public Health. The surfaces of the fireplace can also remain hot for more than an hour after use.
âNew walkers, aged 11 to 15 months, are most at risk because they are unstable when learning to walk and use surfaces for balance,â she said. âThey have slower reflexes and may not be able to remove their hands as quickly. Children also have thinner skin on their palms, which could lead to more serious burns. “
Parents or guardians can do the following to help prevent these types of burns:
- Install a wire mesh barrier and use safety gates for gas and wood fireplaces.
- Closely supervise toddlers and young children around fireplaces, including fireplaces in other people’s homes and in restaurants.
- Make sure that the switches and remotes of the fireplace are out of the reach of children.
Copyright 2021 WMTV. All rights reserved.