World Hearing Day 2022: Expert offers tips to prevent hearing loss | Health
World Hearing Day 2022: Although we don’t consciously pay attention to it and sometimes overlook it, our hearing health is quite important to our overall well-being. Good hearing ability helps you connect with people – listen, engage, observe while hearing loss can negatively impact your quality of life as it can affect your mental health. When you lose contact with people, a loneliness envelops you, making you anxious and prone to depression. (Also read: Tinnitus Awareness Week: The ear disease that keeps you up at night or relaxing)
World Hearing Day is celebrated annually on March 3 to raise awareness of ways to prevent deafness and hearing loss and to promote ear and hearing care around the world. The WHO organizes a World Hearing Day every year at its headquarters in Geneva. World Hearing Day 2022 themed “Hearing for Life, Listen Carefully” will focus on the importance and ways to prevent hearing loss through safe listening. On World Hearing Day 2022, WHO will highlight the importance of safe listening as a way to maintain good hearing throughout life.
“It is possible to have good hearing throughout life with ear and hearing care. Many common causes of hearing loss can be prevented, including hearing loss caused by exposure to loud sounds. ‘Safe listening’ can mitigate the risk of hearing loss associated with recreational sound exposure,” according to the WHO.
Here are some lifestyle changes or tips that can help you prevent hearing loss, by Dr Sheetal Radia, Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat and Head and Neck Oncosurgery, Wockhardt Hospitals, Mira Road.
* Take frequent breaks from loud noise
If your job or environment prevents you from avoiding loud noises, frequent breaks can help relieve your ear.
“You should take frequent breaks from loud noise or even using headphones. Every person should take a break after every hour. Constant exposure to loud noise can impact your hearing. If your occupation requires the use of headphones for long hours, it is recommended to use headbands.It is also advisable to disinfect the headphones before using them.If you constantly have to make phone calls, try turning on the speakerphone in possible,” says Dr. Radia.
* Don’t be near loudspeakers because loud sound is hard on your ears and can damage your eardrums.
* Opt for foam earplugs. They should be sanitized daily to prevent bacterial infections or earmuffs which can help dampen noise and are economical and easy to use. If you have to shout to hear over the TV, radio, or streaming device, turn down the volume.
* Do not use headphones or hairpins to clean the ears as this may damage the ear.
* Exercising on a daily basis can do the trick. Regular exercise keeps blood circulating throughout the body, including the ears. Good circulation can help maintain good oxygen levels and healthy inner parts of the ears.
*You should give the ears enough time to recover after being exposed to loud sound.
* If someone is popping loud crackers outside, consider wearing earplugs.
* Do not leave any ear infection unattended. Neglecting ear problems can lead to hearing loss. Be careful when it comes to your health.
* Keep the volume within the limit.